"In times of crisis, we can always rely on the methodical calmness of baking."
How to bake some delicious Bakewell Flapjacks the Dirty Martini way!
Read time 4 minutes
- 180g butter (I use Pure vegan spread)
- 125 light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 350g porridge oats
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Handful of glacé cherries chopped/chopped in half
- Handful of lightly toasted flaked almonds
Basic glace icing: 60g icing sugar + a few drops of water and almond extract Handful of flaked almonds lightly toasted
MethodPreheat the oven to gas mark 4, grease a baking tin and line with baking paper.
- Blitz half of the oats in a blender (I use my NutriBullet!)
- Place spread, syrup and sugar into a large pan over medium heat and stir until spread melts and sugar dissolves. Add almond extract.
- Remove pan from heat and stir through the oats. Press mixture into the tin and scatter the glacé cherries on top, pushing them into the flapjack – as many as you like.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool in tin.
- Place the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add drops of water and a couple of drops of almond extract. Mix until the icing becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If necessary, add more water (a drop at a time) or icing sugar to adjust the consistency.
- Once the flapjack is cool, drizzle the icing on top in a zigzag pattern or however you like. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar to finish.
Voilà!Store in an airtight container for up to a week.